Artemia (Crustacea, Branchiopoda, Anostraca) cyst bank (IATS-CSIC)Acronym: BQA
Collection composed of Artemia cysts (Crustacea, Branchiopoda, Anostraca). These cysts are embryos (gastrulae) with their metabolism suspended, laid by female Artemia on unfavorable environmental circumstances; they are covered by a lipoproteic chorion which protects the embryos and contributes to the bloom of nauplii larvae under favorable conditions. They are dehydrated by drying or high saline solutions. This collection started around 1984-1985. There are sampling event data, and presence data of Artemia populations. Due to the use of Artemia cysts in aquaculture industry, there is, presently a biodiversity loss in the genus, since some of its species are acting as exotic invasive eradicating the native Artemia species in different areas of the world.
Hypersaline natural and man-made water bodies from temperate and tropical zones in arid and semiarid locations.
1. Sampling crude Artemia material.
2. Cleaning of the less dense floating accompanying materials with brine.
3. Cleaning in brine with different sieving processes through various decreasing size pore plankton meshes (from 1000 to 60 µm) to discard dense accompanying materials of other sizes.
4. Separation of the empty shells with a differential flotation treatment in distilled water.
5. Finally, dehydration in oven at 40°C and packing under vacuum.
6. Stored at 4°C.
Type of content
Includes: point occurrence data.
Amat F, Hontoria F, Varó I, Navarro J C (2020): Artemia (Crustacea, Branchiopoda, Anostraca) cyst bank (IATS-CSIC). v1.0. Instituto de Acuicultura de Torre de la Sal (IATS-CSIC). Dataset/Samplingevent. https://doi.org/10.15470/s7zzqk
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial (CC-BY-NC) 4.0 License.
Looking up... the number of records that can be accessed through the Portal de Datos de GBIF.ES. This resource was last checked for updated data on 17 Sep 2020. The most recent data was published on 17 Sep 2020.Click to view records for the Artemia (Crustacea, Branchiopoda, Anostraca) cyst bank (IATS-CSIC) resource.
Metadata last updated on 2020-09-17 12:16:05.0